Monday, February 28, 2005

Book Review: The Chosen

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

The story is about the friendship of two Jewish boys and their relationship with their fathers. I found the details about Judaism, the Hasidic sects and how Palestine was renamed to Israel scholastically interesting, filed away to the little network of random facts at the back of my head. It's fascinating how the brain collects these nibblets of data even though it doesn't know whether it might be useful at all in its lifespan.

The part that really moved me though was really the strong bond of relationships. The story was engaging and thoughtful. Quite embarassingly, I was crying at the end of the book. Somehow, I always get very absorbed into the world of the book, so much so that their personal pains and fears feel real to me. Anyway, if any of you are looking for a book to pick up, I'd highly recommend this one. It's easy reading and pretty short too.

[Originally posted in yanmonster.blogspot.com]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home